Lisa Back from the Dead! December 9, 2009Posted by Onely in Secret Lives of the Happily Single, single and happy.
Tags: doctoral exams suck, fighting depression, haircuts, massages, zombies rock
That’s right, people. I’m BAAAAAAAACK!!! And yes, until today’s haircut and yesterday’s recovery massage, I did look frighteningly like this little girl to my right. That’s what happens when one travels to doctoral-exam Hell and back! As of today, I’m happy to announce my regular presence back at Onely and across the blogosphere. I’m so looking forward to catching up! I also want to say THANK YOU to all our wonderful readers for giving me kind words of encouragement when I made my occasional appearances here to complain about the exams and make excuses for my absence.
Since I finished my last exam a few days ago, I have spent most of my energy taking care of and rejuvenating myself, both materially and mentally. I was genuinely worried that I would emerge from the last exam let down and depressed, having focused all of my time and energy (and having made multiple sacrifices in my personal life) over the last six months into exam preparation, only to give birth to a series of unpublishable and ultimately unremarkable documents. So, in order to avoid a complete post-exam meltdown, I have been treating myself to the following:
- The Wire, Season 5, and Six Feet Under, Season 1 (there is nothing better to turn off my brain than to engage in an insane TV-show marathon or two)
- New eyeglasses and sunglasses (because my vision has changed considerably, as a result of all this reading and writing)
- The aforementioned massage and haircut
- Laundry (I was on the verge of running out of underwear!)
- New toys for Kitty (the dog)
- Christmas presents for friends
- Long phone calls with friends and family, all of whom I’ve neglected this semester
- Lots of beer
- Good food: sushi, pizza, burritos as big as your head!
- Brand new cell phone
- Returning all those books to the library
- And I’ve been unabashadly congratulating myself for all the hard work I put into this semester (yes, I talk to myself a lot these days!).
At any rate, I think I’ve managed to avoid the depths of post-exam despair pretty well so far. So, in the spirit of shameless self-congratulation, I’m wondering: What have YOU, Copious Readers, been doing that deserves recognition? And how are you treating yourself to celebrate? Please share below (let’s have a Onely-style happy-fest!):